The Worcester Red Sox Grounds Crew is seeking highly motivated and qualified intern candidates for the upcoming 2024 baseball season. Ideal applicants should be currently enrolled in a turf management program and interested in a career in the sports turf industry. The Worcester Red Sox Grounds Crew is responsible for the overall maintenance and care of the Polar Park playing field.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assist Field Superintendent with professional daily field maintenance including clay and infield maintenance, mowing, edging, sodding, cultural practices, fertilizer and chemical applications, irrigation repair, and other duties as assigned.
• Game Preparation including chalking, dragging, painting home plate and mound, assisting with watering of infield, adding conditioner when needed, and cleaning bases.
• Cleaning and maintenance of workshop, equipment, warning track, bullpens, and field.
• Assist with rain situations including pulling tarps; mound, home plate, and large infield tarp.
• Assist with Batting Practice set up and tear down including putting down protective mats, staging all necessary screens, and assisting with large Batting Practice Cage.
• Currently enrolled in a 2- or 4-year Turf Management program or related field
• Excellent communication skills and strong attention to detail
• Ability to work long, nontraditional hours such as nights, weekends, and holidays
• Physical stamina for an extensive number of steps each day
• Tolerance to work outdoors in less-than-ideal weather conditions
• Ability to carry 50+ lbs
• Background in athletic field maintenance or landscaping
• Interested applicants should send cover letter, resume, and references to:
Field Superintendent – Worcester Red Sox
Assistant Field Superintendent – Worcester Red Sox