Working Foreperson of Grounds (Athletic Fields)
College of the Holy Cross
Direct and participate in the activities of assigned subordinates to maintain athletic turf, general turf areas, and irrigation systems of the College grounds. Assist cemetery preparations as needed for College burials. Assist in campus wide landscape installation and/or landscape maintenance. Perform various office duties as required. Assist other Grounds Department functions as necessary. Available November thru April 24 hours for snow removal operations. Perform various duties such as grass cutting, raking, digging, pruning, trimming, planting and caring for trees, bushes, shrubs, flowers, grass, etc., consistent with the upkeep and maintenance of the grounds, greenhouses and the athletic fields. Remove and dispose of rubbish and trash, sweep walks and roadways, remove debris. Shovel and salt walkways, stairs and streets. Move equipment and materials between locations as needed. Maintain and clean equipment as needed or required.
- Plan and implement the horticultural activities required to maintain the natural turf, athletic playing surfaces to Division 1 NCAA standards. Plan and implement scheduled fertility applications for one sand based and five native soil based athletic fields. Proactively identify and treat turf disease, turf pests and weed growth for both sand based and native topsoil fields. Plan and implement seasonally appropriate topdressing, overseeding and aeration schedules. Repair game damage as required. Evaluate and recommend new turf cultivars for potential use on both sand and topsoil growing mediums. Conduct regular soil tests to evaluate physical and chemical properties of all types of soils.
- Experience in maintaining clay on Baseball and Softball fields.
- Plan and implement the horticultural activities required to maintain the high quality, general turf areas of the college grounds. Supervise and assist in the use of fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides to meet recognized IPM use standards and industry recommendations.
- Plan, direct and assist the activities required to install, repair and manage all college irrigation systems. Includes systems required for both athletic fields and general turf areas. Perform regular system audits to determine accuracy of irrigation cycles. Monitor performance of onsite weather sensors.
- Assist in seasonal, campus wide annual flower plantings.
- Conduct the interment preparation, graveside service setup and final burial activities as needed for Campus cemetery. Change flags as needed. Responsible for overall cemetery appearance.
- Assist in general campus wide landscape installation or maintenance. Assist during installation of new landscape planting. Assist with maintenance of existing landscapes.
- Observe and obey all safety rules, practices and procedures. Ensure all safety practices are followed. Defective or unsafe equipment reported to the supervisor immediately.
- Supervise the activity of subordinates. Work for the good and morale of the organization, loyal to the chain of command and support the programs and policies of the Physical Plant department. Team solving problems through the chain of command. Promote a high standard of quality in finished work.
- Operate a variety of vehicles and equipment. Promote safe operation of vehicles and equipment.
- Available in times of emergency, inclement weather and special functions. Must shift change during the week for any function. On 24-hour call from November through April for inclement weather and/or snow removal operations. Required overtime for Campus Spring Cleanup, Commencement, Alumni Weekend and any other campus function.
- Provide and facilitate subordinate training. Offer job related training opportunities to increase the technical knowledge base of subordinates. Conduct periodic reviews for subordinates. Conduct disciplinary actions as necessary.
- Degree in relevant Turf or appropriate horticultural field and or appropriate practical experience.
- Consistent work history showing increasing supervisory experience.
- Current Mass. Pesticide Applicators License.
- Current Mass. Medical Card.
- Mass. Hoisting Engineers License
- Must possess or be willing to obtain relevant certifications from: Professional Grounds Managers Society, New England Sports Turf managers Association, Sports Field Managers Association and Irrigation Association.
- Ability to lift up to 100 pounds with assistance.
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather conditions.
- Degree in relevant horticultural field or appropriate practical experience showing extensive practical and technical knowledge in soil and turf management, irrigation system operation and maintenance. Practical working knowledge of Integrated Pest Management practices as they related to turf and landscape management.
- Consistent, verifiable work history showing 5-7 years, full time, working directly in turfgrass management and with irrigation systems.
- Work history must demonstrate increasing supervisory experience.
- Ability to communicate with and maintain positive relations with other departments throughout the College.
- Must be able to analyze and formulate strategic, multi-year plans to address issues, outline solutions and implement actions.
- Previous Sports Turf, Athletic Field or Golf Course maintenance experience preferred.
This is a full time, non-exempt level position. The College is committed to providing competitive market pay for its employees. The College also offers a competitive benefits package for full-time staff, including:
- Non-contributory Pension Plan
- Condensed summer 4-day work week
- Tuition benefits
- Wellness programs & ongoing Training and Development opportunities
- Generous paid time off
The College is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and complies with all Federal and Massachusetts laws concerning Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action in the workplace.
To review our Employee Benefit Options, please go to: https://www.holycross.edu/human-resources/benefits
Please attach a cover letter addressing the position requirements along with your resume.
In your cover letter please address how your work might support the College's mission as a Jesuit, undergraduate liberal arts college (see http://www.holycross.edu/mission) and its core commitment to diversity and inclusion. Please provide examples of any past work that illuminate your commitments in these areas. For more information, please visit http://holycross.edu/diversity.
Review of applications will begin as received and continue until the position has been filled.
To apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/4682826
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.