Under the supervision of the Assistant Department Head and Director of Facilities and Operations, the position provides leadership and supervision for varied operational, field maintenance and event planning support with a primary focus on personnel management of eight full time union staff in support of DAPER Operations. Position works collaboratively as part of the DAPER Facillities Operations Team to ensure the successful execution of the plans and strategies that support DAPER Facilities core functions. The position monitors and improves existing work processes such as Facility Team equipment inventory, purchasing, supplies, customer service and personnel management. The position serves as a department representative and liaison for Briggs Fields maintnenace projects and ice rink operations. Position procures and maintains equipment needed in support of Facility Team operation. Oversees annual maintnenace of all Facility Team equipment with MIT Grounds Department or outsourced providers. Position manages Facility Team Personnel Budget, Field budgets, and DFT Equipment budgets. This position is also responsible for implementing the MIT Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) Management System in areas under their supervision. This position ensures that facilities and staff under their supervision meet or exceed all applicable EHS requirements.
Personnel Management and Event Coordination:
Plans tasks and daily schedules of DAPER Facility Team in support of Departmental and Institute programs. Interfaces with Manager of Facilities Events/Rentals and Camps in execution of Milestone events and rentals for Department. Establishes daily work assignments for 8 full time union Facilities Team members, part time facility employees, and supervises events as needed.
· Responsible for hiring, training, managing, processing payroll, and oversight for professional development, for eight full-time union staff. Ensures proper safety procedures are followed in use of equipment.
· Develop cleaning schedules for athletic and recreational activity areas.
· Purchase cleaning materials and equipment in support of Facility Team
· Supervises Assistant Manager of Evening and Weekend Operations
· Assists in the resolution of labor relations issues.
Building Operations and Maintenance:
· Responsible for the oversight and maintenance of Johnson Athletic Center and Briggs fields.
· Direct the maintenance of Athletic and Recreational facilities, which includes set-up/break down and cleaning of venues in support of all Department programs and events by DAPER Facility Team.
· Management of seasonal rink operations: plan and coordinate the annual setup/breakdown of dasher boards, painting floor surface and coordinating refrigeration controls with Department of Facilities. Supply all equipment that is needed to execute daily operation of rink. Perform training and secure repairs for Zamboni ice making equipent as needed.
· Prepares paperwork for personnel matters including preparing time cards for payroll data entry and posting for position openings.
· Design and coordinate daily work flow schedules.
· Insures implementation of existing facility policies and procedures.
· Manages Briggs Field and Facility Team budgets.
· Prepares requisitions for purchases, pays invoices, tracks equipment and facility expenses.
· Manages vendor contracts in relation to Briggs Field
· Responsible for implementing MIT’s EHS Management System in their area. Maintains responsibility for ensuring facilities and staff under their supervision meet all applicable EHS requirements including but not limited to regulatory compliance, compliance with MIT policies, required reporting, completion of required training, program documentation, and other EHS Management System requirements. Works with the EHS Coordinator to implement the EHS Management System and informs the Coordinator of any changes in operations, spaces, resources, or programs that may impact MIT’s EHS management.
· Facility Project management as needed.
· Other duties as assigned
Reports directly to the Assistant Department Head and Director of Facilities and Operations.
Interacts with Department of Facilities, Grounds, maintenance, repair teams, and outsourced contractors. Contact with student organizations, intercollegiate coaches and teams, Director of Physical Education and Wellness, Manager of Club Sports & Intramurals, Manager of Facility and Operations, Conference Services and other MIT organizations using the DAPER facilities. Contact with Campus Police, Office of Environmental Health and Safety, Insurance, Legal Affairs and Labor Relations also needed.
Bachelor’s Degree, preferrably in Sports Management, or related field required. Minimum of five years experience in operations management. Experience in an academic environment, particularly with Athletic, Physical Education and Recreation operations preferred. Demonstrated in-depth knowledge and application of facility management practices. Experience with project management for renovations and new construction. Ability to coordinate internal events and external activities for Athletic operations and communicate needs to Departments such as Facilities, Grounds, Campus Activities and Custodial Teams. A background of effective supervision including employee motivation, customer service training and working with union personnel required. Demostrated success in the area of labor relations management, including grievance and contract negotiation processes is preferred. Computer skills, including word processing, excel, scheduling, event management systems, and inventory control are critical to success. Advanced computer skills in use of Microsoft suite and inventory control a plus. Must be team-oriented, a demonstrated problem solver and have a high attention to detail. Candidare must possess effective interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Must be flexible to provide occasional coverage on nights and weekends.
MIT is an Affirmativer Action Equal Opportunity Employer. Massachusetts Institute of Technology is committed to providng a diverse and inclusive culture to best support our students. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
67 West Street
Medfield, MA 02052
©2021 ⦿ ALL RIGHTS RESERVED ⦿ NESTMA